Special Tour "Prehistoric Expedition" July & August, each Tuesday and Thursday at 1 p.m.
July & August, each Tuesday and Thursday at 1 p.m.
Together with archaeologists, away from the regular tour route, inside the world's oldest salt mine. The Prehistoric Expedition makes it possible!
This 4-hours insider tour is suitable for ages 10 and older and demands a basic level of physical fitness.
mail: email@example.com or phone +43/6132/200 2400
Archaeology on the Mountain
18 & 19 September 2021 from 10 AM to 5 PM
Scientists from Natural History Museum Vienna and their collaborative partners present their latest research findings from the world’s oldest salt mine in the high valley above Hallstatt.
For the very first time, select archaeological finds from the 2021 digging season are presented on location!
- Immerse yourself in the history of humankind and the environment – as current today as it was 3000 years ago.
- History books written in the ground beneath our feet – learn how the marshes and ocean deposits can be read and interpreted, along with detailed information about the “history of salt” itself.
- The same story for thousands of years – consumption, production, natural resources, labor, transport. Scarcity of resources and sustainable business practices are issues that have accompanied salt production from the very beginning.
- The long path taken by archaeological finds. Every step of the work process right there before your eyes – from discovery and recovery inside the mine tunnels, to presentation in the display case.
- Digital archaeology – learn how laser scanners and CT are used in archaeology and allow yourself to be transported back to the world of prehistoric miners with the help of spherical panoramas and 3-D models.
Participation in this event is free of charge!
Here you can find Prices for the ride up on the Salzbergbahn funicular and current Covid regulations.