Discover & experience
Everything’s new at Salzwelten Salzburg!
At the world’s oldest salt mine ever to open its tunnels to visitors, as of just recently it seems that no (salt) stone has been left unturned! We now welcome you in a newly designed entrance and service area. Above all, we tell the story of salt in a completely new way, bringing that story vividly to life with the help of cutting-edge technology: Salt, of course – the essence of life – plays the leading role in this epic saga! We invite you and your family to journey through time and the history of salt – from today, to the depths of the past, and back again…
The salt mine: Your journey through the history of salt mining
Your journey into the mountain is a journey through time – to be more precise, through 2600 years of salt mining on the Dürrnberg. Outfitted in white miners’ overalls, you will set out in search of white gold – through four entire epochs of human history: Your path begins with modern mining and salt production as it is done today. It then leads through the murky Middle Ages and ultimately ends with the Celtic miners of the Iron Age. A raft ride across a mystical salt lake enthralls you amid the iridescent world of Baroque Salzburg. At the end of your journey, you will have a true grasp of why salt is indeed regarded as the essence of life. And we shouldn’t forget to mention: During your tour, you will cross the subterranean border between Austria and Germany, ride on a mine train, and slither down two miners’ slides deeper and deeper into the mountain. A grand adventure indeed!
What you should know before your visit to Salzwelten Salzburg:
- Tours meet: 15 minutes before the start of the tour next to the ticket window
- Duration: about 80 minutes
- Distance: you will walk approximately 1.5 kilometers
- Age restrictions: suitable for children ages 4 and up
- Animals: not allowed
- Wheelchairs: the mine tunnels are not suitable for wheelchairs
- Absolutely wear warm clothing and sturdy shoes – the temperature inside the mountain is roughly 10° Celsius year-round, while the ground is very stony.
The Celtic Mountain – a mountain full of family adventures The Celtic Mountain is located right next to the mine itself. A place with lots for children and adults to discover:
Feel like you are a real Celt as you stroll from hut to hut through the authentic replica of SALINA Celtic Village. The newly designed info center opens a window into the history of human settlement on the Dürrnberg and provides intriguing insights into the work conducted here by archaeologists. Incidentally, you can marvel at the actual original artefacts by visiting Museum of the Celts Hallein!
- Be there, live, when, in the BAD ISCHLER Salt Manufactory – the only showcase saltworks in Austria – our special, pyramid-shaped salt crystals grow and are hand-scooped.
- Ready? Then let’s do it! It’s time to take the new theme playground by storm! Swing, climb, slide, enjoy the freedom. Whatever you are in the mood for! Meanwhile, the grown-ups will be able to gaze out across the Salzach river valley, taking a mellow timeout of their own.
- Complete the interactive treasure hunt and shoot a selfie of yourself next to a virtual version of the famous beaked jug from the Dürrnberg. The AR Explorer App gives all explorers, big and small, a playful way to discover the world of the Ancient Celts and the history of salt. So: Turn on your smartphone, download the app for free from the Google Play Store or App Store, then get ready to have some fun!
Tip: With your Salzwelten Ticket, entrance to Kelten.Erlebnis.Berg is included for free.
BAD ISCHLER Salt Manufactory
In our salt manufactory on the Celtic Mountain, you have the unique opportunity to watch an extraordinary salt being created. Our BAD ISCHLER Salzzart is extraordinary for several reasons: Here, in Austria’s only showcase saltworks and under the keen eye of a master salt-maker, the natural brine of the Dürrnberg gives birth to pyramid-shaped salt crystals. Look over this craftsman’s shoulder as he skillfully goes about his work. And if ever you have a question: no problem! He is (almost) certain to have an interesting answer for you. And who knows, maybe you will have an opportunity to let one of those delectable salty pyramids, which are generally used to put the finishing touch to a fine dish, melt right then and there on your tongue.